"that there was one priest there, holding one carucate of land (about 50 acres)." This, however, was not for his own use but for the poor of the parish, extending to the Mersey from Garston, to past Hale.
Childwall then became attached to the Priory of Lancaster which Roger founded as the cell of the Abbey. Patronage passed to the Grelleys, Barons of Manchester, during the 13th Century, and a member of that family Herbert Grelley was Rector in 1260. Nearly 50 years later in 1309, Sir Roger de Holland presented Childwall to the college of Secular Cannons at Upholland".....
Childwall is a suburb of Liverpool, and a Liverpool City Council Ward. It is located to the south of the city, bordered by Gateacre, Wavertree, Belle Vale, Broadgreen, Bowring Park and Mossley Hill. In 2008 the population was recorded as 14,085. Childwall can be found approximately 6 miles from Liverpool City Centre in the south east suburbs of Liverpool, or a stone’s throw from the end of the M62.
Childwall's history goes back to very early days. Domesday book records, that there was one priest there, holding one carucate of land (about 50 acres). This, however, was not for his own use but for the poor of the parish, extending to the Mersey from Garston to past Hale.
In 1094 Count Roger Poges of Poitou granted the patronage of Kydewell to the Abbey of St Martin at Sees in Normandy. Childwall then became attached to the Priory of Lancaster which Roger founded as the cell of the Abbey. Patronage passed to the Grelleys, Barons of Manchester, during the 13th Century, and a member of that family Herbert Grelley was Rector in 1260. Nearly 50 years later in 1309, Sir Roger de Holland presented Childwall to the college of Secular Cannons at Upholland. The gift was not appreciated, for the Seculars discovered that Childwall was a wilderness more suitable for contemplative monks and they gave the place to the Benedictines. The Benedictines kept Childwall until the dissolution of the monasteries when it came under the jurisdiction of the See of Chester. It later became invested, in 1880, to the See of Liverpool. The oldest part of the Village for years has been named Childwall Abbey but although it has always been an ecclesiastical centre, there has never been an abbey or priory despite several legends. There are past and present names on Maps, Childwall Cottage, Childwall Lodge, Stand Park, Hill Top, Childwall Priory Farm - each with its own unique history. The population of Childwall in 1901 was 219. Ever since 1913, when Childwall was absorbed by Liverpool, the surrounding open space and farmland have gradually been eaten away by the sprawl of the city. Some years ago, the area around the Childwall Abbey was made into a conservation area and this part has survived and still manages to retain much of its old rural beauty and character. Parts of Childwall Hall estate have survived to this day. The name seems to have grown up from the fact that Childwall Hall was designed in a style reminiscent to a monastic institution. Welcome to the History of Childwall!
The History of Childwall has been written by Jonathon Wild, Campaign Director of Braygreen, and a local resident of Childwall who has been fortunate to have come across some very rare pictures of the area, either from a private collection, past private cine film, or private family pictures. There are too many names to thank for this publication, there will have been thanks along the way – but a large ‘thank you’ to the people who have participated in bringing this website to life.
There have been many publications used in the production of this website and we have carefully noted their copyright and gained permission where needed. We have also been given permission from the Record Office for use of some of their contemporary photographs.
SPECIAL THANKS TO: Mr I Dale, Mr P Dale, Mike Dodd, John Athersuch, Will Stephens, Lime Pictures.